- Spiers, A., Melhuish, C. and Herrmann, G. (2009) Implementing 'Discomfort' in Operational Space: Practical Application of a Human Motion Inspired Robot Controller: 10th Anniversary of TAROS - Towards Autonomous Robotic Systems, Londonderry 31 August – 3 September 2009.
- Foreman, J P, Yazdouni, M, Russo, S, Chan G, Spiers, A, Herrmann, G & Barber, P (2009) ‘Hardware in the loop validation of a gradient and weight estimation algorithm and longitudinal speed control using a laboratory model car.’ ISCE - International Conference on Systems Engineering.
- Spiers, A., Herrmann, G., Melhuish, C., Pipe, A. and Lenz, A. (2009) Robotic Implementation of Realistic Reaching Motion Using a Sliding Mode/Operational Space Controller. In: Advances in Robotics - FIRA RoboWorld Congress 2009, Incheon 16-20 August 2009. Heidelberg: Springer, pp. 230-238.
- Spiers, A., G. Herrmann and C. Melhuish, (2010) "An Optimal Sliding Mode Controller Applied to Human Motion Synthesis with Robotic Implementation", American Control Conference, 2010
- S. Khan, G. Herrmann, T.Pipe, C.Melhuish and A.Spiers (2010), “Adaptive Compliance Control of a 4 DOF Manipulator with Anti-Windup Compensator and Effort Minimizing Controller”, International Journal of Social Robotics.
- A. Spiers, G. Herrmann, C. Melhuish, T.Pipe (2010) "A Neural Network Method of Learning Human Motion by Observation in Operational Space", IEEE International Conference on Humanoid Robots, December 6-8th, Nashville, TN.
Haptic / Enactive Interfaces
- Spiers, Adam; Baillie, Sarah; Pipe, Tony; Persad, Raj; , "Experimentally
driven design of a palpating gripper with minimally invasive surgery
considerations," Haptics Symposium (HAPTICS), 2012 IEEE , vol., no., pp.261-266, 4-7 March 2012
- T.Froese, M. McGann, W. Bigge, A. Spiers, A. Seth (2011), The Enactive Torch: A New Tool for the Science of Perception, IEEE Transactions on Haptics, vol.PP, no.99, pp.1, 0
- M. McGann, T. Froese, W. Bigge, A. Spiers, A. Seth, (2011) The Use of a Distal-to-Tactile Sensory Substitution Interface Does Not Lead to Extension of Body Image, International Conference of the European SKILLS Project,
- Van Der Linden, J. Rogers, Y. Oshodi, M. and Spiers, A. and McGoran, D. and Cronin, R. and O’Dowd, P.}, (2011), Haptic reassurance in the pitch black for an immersive theatre experience, UBICOMP, 13th International Conference on Ubiquitous Computing. – BEST PAPER AWARD
- Van Der Linden, J. Spiers, A. Oshodi, M. Rogers, Y. O’Dowd, P. (2010), “In the Dark - Designing Navigation for a Haptic Theatre Experience”, Mobile HCI - Workshop on Using Audio and Haptics for Delivering Spatial Information via Mobile Devices
- Grespan, L., Froese, T., Di Paolo, E. A., Seth, A., Spiers, A. & Bigge, W. (2008), “Investigating the role of movement in the constitution of spatial perception using the Enactive Torch”, in: E. Ruffaldi & M. Fontana (eds.), Enactive/08: Proc. of the 5th Int. Conf. on Enactive Interfaces, Pisa, Italy: Edizioni ETS, pp. 105-110
- Chrisley, R., Froese, T. and Spiers, A. (2008) Engineering conceptual change: The Enactive Torch. (extended abstract), /WPE-08: Workshop on Philosophy and Engineering, Royal Academy of Engineering, London.
- Froese, T. & Spiers, A. (2007), “Toward a Phenomenological Pragmatics of Enactive Perception”, in: Enactive/07: Proc. of the 4th Int. Conf. on Enactive Interfaces, Grenoble, France: Association ACROE, pp. 105-108
- Warwick K., M.Gasson and A.Spiers, “Therapeutic Potential of Computer to Cerebral Cortex Implantable Devices”, Chapter in “Operative Neuromodulation: Functional Neuroprosthetic Surgery, an Introduction” (Acta Neurochirurgica Supplementum)”, Springer-Verlag, 2006.
- A J Spiers, K Warwick, M N Gasson, V F Ruiz : "Issues impairing the Success of neural implant technology", Applied Bionics and Biomechanics, Vol.3, Issue.4, pp.297-304, Dec (2007)
- K Warwick, M N Gasson, A J Spiers : "Brain-Computer Interfacing: An Overview of Recent Studies", CSI Communications, Vol.31, Issue.1, pp.1-14, Apr.2007, also BioSystems Review, Vol.1, no.3 (2006)
- A J Spiers, M N Gasson, K Warwick : "Determining the characteristics of neural implant technology", Proc. 3rd IEE International Seminar on Medical Applications of Signal Processing, London, pp.77-81, Nov (2007)
- Blindman's Bluff - Guest blog post for Guerilla Science about my sensory substitution installation at Secret Garden Party (UK music and performing arts festival).
- Disability now - article regarding inclusive theatre
- Philosophy now - article on philosophical aspects of The Question
- The Guardian - short article in which The Question is described as author's 'standout theatre experience of the year'
- Wired.co.uk - first hand experience of The Question
- Real Time Magazine - coders, crafters and crooks - report on the Uncraftivism exhibition at the Arnolfini
- Ad!dict Inspiration - creative technology and design book series - p71 discusses the Enactive Torch
- The Engineer - article on my PhD topic